If you are interested in making your ATV/UTV street legal than the first and most important thing you you need to do is look into your states laws and requirements for doing so. A lot of these requirements and laws will vary state to state and some even have different requirements county to county so be sure to keep this in mind when determining everything needed to make these off road vehicles legal in your area. This is a link to all fifty states Local DMV departments to help get you started.
I can tell you just to start with that some of these requirements will be:
- A drivers license
Other equipment that you’ll be required to ad on to your ATV/UTV, if your vehicle isn’t already equipped with, may be:
- Turn signals
- Headlight with high and low beam
- Taillight (Reverse light)
- Brake light
- Rear reflectors
- Mud flaps
- License plate ( Lighted )
- Wind shield or in some states eye protection
More details you will have to consider :
1. Just like any motor vehicle you you own a state safety inspection will need to be done as well as emission test and inspection.
2. You may still be limited to roads outside of larger city limits ( Outside major metropolis cities ).
3. You may not be permitted on highways or roads where the speed limit exceeds your ATV/UTV’s speed capabilities.
4. The tires on your ATV/UTV may need to be changed to tires more appropriate for the paved roads. This will make the vehicle easier to control and safer for the street,, for yourself and others.
5. Also, any drivers that you may allow to drive your vehicle on these streets is required to have a valid drivers license as well.
ATV/UTV street conversion kits are available such as the ATV TEK ATV/UTV Street Legal KIT
and the Tusk Universal ATV Street Legal Kit , you may need to search through the results you will get for right kit that has all the additional equipment that you require to make your vehicle street legal, there many to choose from.